The major in theology at St. Mary’s calls for ten theology courses distributed between the areas of Scripture and Thought and Practice. The course catalog gives descriptions more thorough than these brief summaries.
- Old Testament… survey of all or part of the writings of the Israelites and early Jews
- New Testament… survey of all or part of the writings of the first followers of Jesus of Nazareth
- Moral Theology… the theory and practice of doing the right thing. Abortion? Euthanasia? Is this just personal opinion? When is it not okay to just agree to disagree?
- Catholic Social Ethics… do religion and politics mix? Religion and work? Faith and citizenship? What does it mean to be a Christian other than Sunday morning?
- Health Care and Medical Ethics… does stem cell research save lives or take lives, or both? If my brain is dead and a machine is making my heart beat, am I alive?
- Christology… is Jesus God? Human? Both? Neither? What has he done for me lately?
- Ecclesiology… what is the Church? Do we need it?
- Sacraments… how do certain objects and actions in particular become encounters with the divine? Read More